Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Treatment by Flomax (Tamsulosin)
- Name: Flomax
- Brand Name: Veltam / Flomaxtra / Urimax
- Active ingredient: Tamsulosin Hydrochloride
- Used for: Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy
- Dosages (mg): 0.2/0.4
- Drug Class: Alpha-Blocker
- Flomax Definition
- Flomax Applications
- Contraindications: Is Flomax Right for Me?
- Flomax Health Effects and Benefits
- Possible Side Effects
- Flomax Food and Drug Interactions
- List of Medicines the Combination with Which Is Dangerous
- Safety Note
- Storage Requirements
- Flomax Full List of Ingredients
- Customers Questions about Flomax
Flomax falls into the group of alpha adrenergic blocking agents. Its active substance is tamsulosin. Generally, Flomax is applied for treatment of signs and symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Moreover, its operation method lies in muscles relaxation of neck of the urinary bladder or prostatic gland making the patients with multiocular sclerosis suffering from urinary bladder disorders feel relief. Thus, relaxation of muscles unary bladder and prostatic gland results in alleviation of symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia, such as desire to urinate repeatedly, poor urinary flow, difficulties while starting urination, desire to urinate at night.
Flomax is taken perorally by 1 capsule (0,4mg) at one and the same time after food once per day. A capsule should be swallowed whole without chewing it, since it may disturb gradual release of active substance.
Flomax is indicative for treatment of functional symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia, such as inappropriate urination. Tamsulosin blocks selectively postsynaptic alpha 1A-adrenoceptors located in unstriated muscles of prostatic gland, neck of the urinary bladder, and prostatic part of urethra as well as alpha 1D- adrenoceptors located mainly in urinary bladder body. This leads to decrease of unstriated muscle tonus of prostatic gland, neck of the urinary bladder, prostatic part of urethra, improves urinary outflow, reduces symptoms of obstruction and irritation of urinary tracts in case of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Tamsulosin is well absorbed by intestinal canal and has a 100% bioaccessibility. Tamsulosin accelerates urine flow up to maximal level by means of relaxation of prostatic gland or urethra muscles alleviating urination at that. Tamsulosin decreases both symptoms of troubled urination, and symptoms of its filling influenced by contraction of unstriated muscles. Due to the decrease of peripheric resistance, the intake of alpha adrenergic blocking agents may cause drop of arterial blood pressure. During research studies of tamsulosin’s impact on patients with normal blood pressure, clinically significant blood pressure drop wasn’t observed.
The absorption speed decreases by means of food before the medication intake. This speed may be preserved constant is tamsulosin is used after breakfast. Tamsulosin kinetics indicators are of linear character. Peak levels in blood plasma are determined in 6 hours after one-time tamsulosin intake after the acceptance of nutrient-enriched food. The concentration is fixed on the fifth day of daily intake. Flomax is cleared with urine and along with this around 4-6% of the dosage taken is cleared intact.
Contraindications: Is Flomax Right for Me?
Flomax is definitely not right for you in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to tamsulosin or other components of Flomax;
- Postural hypotension (including the case of it in past medical history);
- Severe liver impairment;
- Severe renal impairment (clearance decrease);
Side-effects are transient and occur very seldom, but if they take place you may feel the following symptoms (divided according to the frequency of side-effects >1%, 0,1%, 0,01%):
- On the part of nervous system:
Not often: headache,
Seldom: syncope, sleep disorder (drowsiness or insomnia).
- On the part of cardio-vascular system:
Not often: tachycardia, postural hypotension, intercostal neuralgia.
- On the part of respiratory apparatus:
Not often: rhinitis;
- On the part of digestive apparatus:
Not often: uncleared bowels, diarrhea, nausea, vomit.
- On the part of derma and skin integument:
Not often: rash, pruritus, urticaria fever;
Seldom: hydrops hypostrophos.
- On the part of genitourinary apparatus:
Not often: retrograde ejaculation;
Very seldom: priapism, low libido.
- Others: sometimes asthenia, backache, small pupil syndrome during cataract surgery.
- In case of first signs of postural hypotension (vertigo weakness) a patient should sit down or lie down until the indicated symptoms disappear.
- Before you start treatment with Flomax, you have to undergo executive checkup in order to exclude other illnesses which may cause the same symptoms, such as benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Before treatment course it is required to examine prostatic gland and in some cases to conduct determination of prostatic specific antigen. In connection with the possibility of complication during operative cataract treatment, it is not recommended to start treatment with Flomax for patients suffering from cataract if surgery is required.
- Tamsulosin may cause drowsiness, visual deterioration, vertigo, syncope. Therefore, the medicine shouldn’t be taken by drivers and people whose job requires boosting attention span.
- During treatment course, it is recommended holding back from potentially hazardous activities requiring boosting attention span and fast psychomotor action.
Flomax Health Effects and Benefits
Flomax and its active substance tamsulosin is the first selective adrenoceptor blocking agent especially developed for urination disorder treatment caused by benign prostatic hypertrophy. Selective blockage of α1А- and α1D- adrenoceptors mainly located in prostatic gland, neck of the urinary bladder, and prostatic part of urethra allows obtaining significant effect in regards to urinary disorders without pronounced influence on vascular tonus and system arterial blood pressure. Therefore, the intake of selective alpha-adrenergic blocking agents is accompanied by less number of side-effects. It is especially important if take into account rather high prevalence rate of BPH among the patients suffering from somatic pathology making 64,1%. It is well stated that benign prostatic hypertrophy is more often exposed in men with cardio-vascular diseases.
Tamsulosin doesn’t affect the level of arterial blood pressure for men with arterial hypertension. What is more important that there was not proved any medicinal interactions of Flomax with anti-hypertensive drugs.
Clinical efficiency and safety of Flomax were experimentally approved by means of diverse clinical trials in different countries for the last two decades. Nowadays tamsulosin is the most prescribed alpha-adrenergic blocking agent in the world. Its undeniable advantage is necessity absence of dose titration like in the case with other alpha-adrenergic blocking agents the clinical effects of which are strictly dose-dependent.
Possibility of Flomax intake in therapeutic dosage from the first day of treatment allows achieving clinical effect within maximally short period. Medicine’s bioaccessibility makes 100%, elimination half-life is 13 hours which explains its long-term action (24 hours and longer) and possibility of usage once per day.
Along with successful treatment of patients suffering from BPH, scientists have also estimated its usage in complex therapy of chronic abacterial prostatitis. Many patients with this diagnosis suffer from the following symptoms: urinary difficulty or frequency, thinness and laxity of urine flow, urgency of urination, and feeling of incomplete emptying. Influence of alpha-adrenergic blocking agents allows restoring coordinated work of detrusor and closing apparatus of neck of the urinary bladder and thus improve urination act.
The research studies also estimated efficiency of tamsulosin in regards to blockage of acute urinary retention among surgical patients in post-operative period. Also, application of Flomax on the top of temporary draining of urinary bladder by urethral catheter is the most effective remedy for restoration of unassisted urination for surgical patients with acute urinary detention on post-operative period.
Possible Side Effects
Serious side-effects were not observed. You may feel a headache, increased risk of infections, joint pain, dorsodynia, muscular aches, vertigo, running nose, diarrhea, ejaculation disorders. Such rare side-effects like slight pain in chest, drowsiness, insomnia, weak sexual drive, sore throat, cough, sinusitis, nausea, impairment of vision may also occur after Flomax intake. The medicine may also cause postural hypotension which may be accompanied by vertigo, clouding of consciousness and syncope.
Food and Drug Interactions
Combination of Flomax with food
Tamsulosin absorption gets slower after food acceptance. Similar level of absorption may be achieved in case when patient each time takes the remedy after a standard breakfast. Flomax is characterized by linear kinetics. After one-time peroral intake of 0,4mg, its maximal concentration in blood plasma will be achieved within 6 hours. After daily intake of 0,4mg its equilibrium concentration in blood plasma will be achieved by fifth day. Moreover, its level is 2/3 higher than after a one-time intake.
Flomax and alcohol
Alcoholic beverages may enhance vertigo and cause syncope. Alcohol intake must be reduced.
- Cimetidine increases concentration of tamsulosin in blood plasma, whereas furosemide reduces it (it doesn’t have clinical significance).
- Diclofenac and indirect anticoagulants accelerate tamsulosin clearance.
- Diazepam, propranolol, trichlormethiazide, chlormadinone, amitriptyline, diclofenac, glibenclamide, simvastatin, and warfarin do not change free fraction of tamsulosin in blood plasma of a man. Tamsulosin in its turn doesn’t change free fractions of diazepam, propranolol, trichlormethiazide, and chlormadinone as well.
- Research studies haven’t observed interaction on the level of hepatic metabolism with amitriptyline, salbutamol, glibenclamide, and finasteride.
- Alpha-adrenergic blocking agents, diuretics, anti-depressants, beta-adrenergic blocking agents, calcium channel blocking agents, nitrates and ethanol may enhance hypotensive effect of Flomax.
List of Medicines the Combination with Which Is Dangerous
Your attending doctor or therapist should know of all medicines you take in combination with Flomax. The simultaneous intake along with some of them may be dangerous:
- Medications for erectile dysfunction (e.g. containing sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil)
- Other alpha-adrenergic blocking agents (doxazosin, prazosin)
- Hypotensive medicines
- Antithrombotic agents (warfarin)
- Medications involving liver enzymes clearing Flomax from organism (cimetidine, azole, antifungal, ketoconazole, macrolide, antibiotic drugs, erythromycin, rifampicine, rifabutin, carbamazepine).
- Aged 60 and older – No particular problems after tamsulosin intake are observed.
- Driving and mechanical and electrical work – Flomax may disturb psychic activity causing insomnia, vertigo, especially if a patient takes the drug for the first time. Flomax should be taken with care: you have to avoid any kinds of activity requiring much concentration within 24 hours after the first dose. This effect should weaken after the intake of several dosages.
- Flomax overdose – Overdose is hardly possible. The possible side-effects after intake of excessive dose may include strong headache or postural hypotension (sudden blood pressure drop after uprising). In case a patient has taken a dose significantly exceeding the prescribed one, place him to bed and seek immediate medical attendance.
- Tamsulosin interactions – According to the instruction, combined intake along with other alpha-adrenergic blocking agents may cause enhancement of hypotensive effect. Cimetidine increases concentration of tamsulosin in blood plasma, whereas furosemide reduces it. Diclofenac and warfarin accelerate tamsulosin clearance of organism.
Do not store above 25°C. Keep out of reach of children and animals. Keep away from direct sunlight. Do not use upon expiration period indicated on the package (2 years). Before usage examine the instruction and dosages.
Flomax Full List of Ingredients
Active substance: tamsulosin hydrochloride 0,400mg; in terms of the equivalent amount of tamsulosin – 0,367mg.
Additive agents: cryptocrystalline cellulose (101), methacrylic acid-ethyl acrylate copolymer (1:1), TEC, talc, water, sodium hydroxide, chlorohydric acid.
Customers Questions about Flomax
What should I do in case of Flomax overdose?
The cases of Flomax are not described. Theoretically acute hypotension is possible. Treatment: a patient should be placed in a horizontal position and conduct activities directed on cardio-vascular function support (restoration of arterial blood pressure and frequency of cardiac contractions), gastric lavage, introduction of activated carbon and osmotic relaxants such as sodium sulfate. If it doesn’t cause any effect, the agents enhancing the volume of circulated blood and vasodilatory remedies should be administered.
What is tamsulosin effect?
Treatment with tamsulosin contributes to positive dynamics:
- Urination improves;
- Pronounced urination difficulty decreases considerably;
- Residual urine volume reduces;
- Manifestation of irritation and obstruction on the top of benign prostate hyperplasia decreases.
What if I missed the intake of Flomax?
If you have forgotten to take the remedy in time, do not use it this very day (it is important to take tablets at one and the same time). Next day you may take the usual dosage.
When can I stop taking Flomax?
According to the instruction, medicine should be taken during the designed on-treatment period.